Pages

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Book Review: The Knitter's Year by Debbie Bliss

Oh my I can't put this book down - I just love it! I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a craft book, and as I've recently caught the knitting bug again it couldn't have come at a better time.

The book is perfect for the quick-fix knitter. Most of the projects can be completed within a week for some instant knitty satisfaction. The 52 projects, one for every week of the year, are designed to keep you knitting from spring right through until Winter, and the patterns are organized by season. Perfect for someone like me, who flits from project to project and doesn't want to spend weeks on the same garment.


From peg bags to pin cushions, hats to hangers, most of the projects in this book are both decorative and functional so not only will they look great but they'll serve a purpose around the house too. Some projects need a bit of preparation in as much as you need a few balls of matching yarn, but others can be made on a whim using oddments from your stash.

This book may not be suitable for the absolute novice knitter, as there isn't a knitting basics, or "how-t0" section. I actually find this extremely refreshing, especially as this is Debbie's latest offering from a whole library of knitting books, several of which contain basic knitting techniques and stitches.


There are so many projects in this book that I want to try myself. I thought about knitting up one project a week and making it into a year long blog feature, but honestly I'm not sure whether I can wait that long to make some of them! No doubt I'll be posting about several makes from this book very soon.

The Knitter's Year: 52 Seasonal Knits by Debbie Bliss is published by Quadrille Publishing, and is priced at £18.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to your comment.