Pages

Thursday 4 March 2010

Recipe: Bara Brith

Here it is, a little later than promised, but better late than never. This is the recipe I used to make Bara Brith. I got it from my grandmother and I don't think it's her own but it's one of those that's been scribbled in a recipe book 50 years ago so God knows where it came from.

To make Bara Brith you will need the following:
1 Saucepan,
1 Mixing Bowl
1 Loaf Tin
1 Measuring Jug
1 Wooden Spoon
Kitchen Scales
Baking Parchment

Ingredients:
1 cup of sultanas
1 cup of water
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 oz soft margarine
2 cups of self raising flower
1 egg
Half tsp baking powder

1: Melt the first four ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool until lukewarm


2: Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.


3: Beat the egg and add, along with the cooled mixture from the saucepan, to the mixing bowl.


4: Beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed and pour into a greased lined loaf tin.



5: Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for one to one and a quarter hours.

6: Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool slightly, before turning onto a wire rack.


7: Once cooled, slice quite thickly, butter, and enjoy!

Best enjoyed with a steaming cup of tea. This one is going with me to my sewing class tonight as I'm the only one in the house who likes it so it would go stale before I got through it all. I hope the Irish enjoy a bit of Welsh cuisine for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to your comment.