Pages

Wednesday 6 January 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Now I'm not usually one to bother with new year's resolutions but there are a few things I'd like to achieve this year, so here goes:

1: Get Crafty Jemima up and running. This one obviously is my priority. I have a few things left to do like sort out a new bank account, finish the business plan and make plenty of stock before I can officially start selling, so I'd better get busy!

2: Stay organized. I'm not going to be able to do any of this without being organized and tidy (yikes!). I need to find a place in my sewing room for everything and keep everything in it's place. I'm also going to have to work out a weekly routine and stick to it as best I can. Yikes again!!

3: Write to my Grandmother. It's something I always intend to do, but never get round to doing / posting. She says she would prefer to get a letter than a phone call, so I shall write to my Gran on the last Sunday of every month, scouts honour (Yes I actually was a Scout - well Cub Scout anyway)!

4: Be more colourful. The things I make are colourful but never the things I wear. For Christmas I got a few colourful hats, scarves and shawls so I thought I'd take my lead from them and jazz up the wardrobe a bit.

5: Bake. Now I'm pretty good in the kitchen, but there are a few things I've always wanted to make and never have. I want to be able to bake my own bread, to make Irish soda bread and to bake a carrot cake. I usually bake what everyone else likes - hence never having made a carrot cake - so it usually ends up being something chocolate flavoured, which I'm really not that keen on. Also I need to bake more frequently instead of buying rubbish with god knows what added to the recipe so that they last for months and months.

6: Take more photographs. Looking back over the past few years it's pathetic the amount of photographs I've taken. I only really get the camera out for special occasions, and then only if nobody else has one. So when I eventually buy my snazzy new camera I shall be snapping galore - promise!

7: Make things for me. I never ever make things to keep for myself. I either feel guilty about spending the money or taking the time to make something to keep when I could be selling it or giving it as a present. But I have a list of things that I want to make - some practical and some indulgent. I can't wait to start now!!

8: Finish reading books. Last year I started The Constant Gardener, Atonement, Lucky, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, all books I wanted to read, but didn't finish one of them. Mind you I did finish several others, but I've got to stop starting books before I finish the one before!

9: Take more time for me. That's another thing I feel completely guilty about. I spent the last year thinking that if I'm not making something then I'm wasting time, but I cannot dedicate every minute of the day to crafting or I'll start to get sick of it. I'm going to have to keep to designated working hours if I want to have the time to take long baths, to read for a while before going to sleep and go out for a drink with friends once in a while.

10: Learn something new. I'm undecided as to what I want to do yet, but it will probably be something practical. I'm one of those people who hates spending money on something I could do/make for myself. I quite fancy trying to make soap, or maybe some form of makeup? We'll see.

There we are - we'll see how I get on! This year's resolutions are ones that I actually want to do and should enjoy doing, so I should manage them without too much bother. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I was just reading your New Year's Resolutions list and had to comment on the 'Write to my Grandmother' bit. I used to write to my Gran (she died over 10 years ago now) and I still have all her letters and they nearly all start with a moan that it took me too long to write back last time!! We all laugh about it now when we get together but I'm really glad I did write. I remember always being very busy living in London and having to force myself to make time, I love reading all her letters now, I can imagine her sitting in her chair moaning about this and that!

    Love the rest of your list, I didn't do one but have list envy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah my sister used to write to my Nan when she was alive and I've always regretted not doing it too. I usually phone my Gran but now she's in her 80s she says she'd prefer a letter so that she can re-read it. She doesn't remember everything that I've told her first time. I have a newspaper clipping to send to her of my craft stall so I'm gonna need to write to her soon and send that along with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to your comment.